Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Ring


I think I’m going crazy. I mean I’m seeing a therapist for the first time ever so I must be going crazy. I took the A train to downtown and then walked three blocks to 8657 Dunbar Street. I stopped in front of the door, “should I turn around?” I thought to myself, “this is good for me. Take three deep breaths and open the door.” I felt in my right pocket; it was still there.
When I walked inside I was instantly reminded of her. From the painting of a girl on her bike to the colors of the walls, it all was just like her. I waited in anticipation for my name to be called. I heard “Scott” faintly over my loud thoughts. I stepped into the office and Dr. Dever told me to take a seat. “ Get comfortable and whenever you’re ready you can tell me how you two met.”
I started out with the first time I had ever seen her. “Seven years ago, our friends were having a little party to watch the Academy Awards. I arrived early and was relaxing on the couch; eating my weight in guacamole and watching the celebrities walk down the red carpet. There were about ten people at the party, when all of a sudden, another girl walked in. I looked up and instantly thought how beautiful she was. I knew I wanted her to sit by me, so I curled up on the sofa so no one would take the spot. Finally, after pouring herself a drink and hanging up her coat, she headed over to take a seat. I sat up straight again and was like, "Oh, um, you can sit here." To my great pleasure, she did. Our first conversation was about how she had painted her apartment that weekend. I half-listened to what she was saying, but mostly I was enchanted by the way her lips formed when she talked. At the end of the party I slipped my number into her hand as we shook hands goodbye.”
“Seems like you both have a lot of history. How do you feel right now?” I said, “I feel cheated and confused. She just left without a trace, not even a single clue.” Mr. Dever asked me “What did you do the moment you realized she was gone?” “That morning I woke up to an empty bed, she had never come home that night. She had taken enough clothes so I wouldn’t notice anything was missing. The only thing that let me know she was gone was the ring she left on the kitchen table”
“Can you show me the ring?” I dug into my right pocket and brought out the shiny gold engagement ring I had proposed with. The doctor began to examine the ring when he said, “look at this” He was referring to the inside of the ring that read, ’find the map and you’ll find me.’ I began to ferociously dig around in my pockets and in my back pocket I felt a piece of paper. I unfolded the paper and it revealed a map with an X at the top.  
Sakura Ring
Nana Johnson


No comments:

Post a Comment